Middle School Science Teacher South Africa Teaching Jobs 2021
Middle School Science Teacher
Middle School Science Teacher South Africa Teaching Jobs 2021 | CAMPUS: Johannesburg
SUPERVISOR: Middle School Principal
The American International School of Johannesburg is committed to fostering justice, equity, diversity and inclusion throughout our school community, and we are continually furthering our practices and behaviors as we strive to live these ideals.
Child Protection Statement
AISJ maintains strong child protection policies & procedures, this ensures that our students can pursue their education in a safe, secure, and caring environment. All faculty and staff are required to undergo criminal background checks, attend annual training sessions and sign a safeguarding agreement.
The philosophy of the AISJ science program is to develop our diverse community of students into life-long learners who are able to recognize problems, conduct objective investigations, and offer reasoned solutions, attaining academic excellence in science, as well as contributing to the global community and environment.
The Middle School science program is inquiry driven. Regardless of the content the students are studying, students should be constantly engaged in activities which increase their ability to inquire, use the scientific process, communicate their ideas, proposals, and solutions, and apply their knowledge through demonstration and/or the creation of models. Hands on learning activities and assessment that make connections to the student’s world around them are essential to our program; preferably through integrated subject units.
The Middle School science teacher will serve as a core member of the grade level team in fulfilling and monitoring the schools vision, mission, core beliefs, and goals. Serving as a core member of the team, this teacher will collaborate weekly with the other three members of the team to plan integrated units and advisory activities, discuss students, and work together to promote the educational needs of Middle School learners. Also serving as a core advisor to 8 – 10 students within a grade level, this position requires an acute understanding of the developmental uniqueness of the middle level learner and a desire to work with and advocate for this age group.
- Current teaching certification appropriate to age level and subject specializations
- A minimum of an undergraduate degree in Education or the area of expertise required
- Previous teaching experience, and strong knowledge in the area of specializations at the required levels of study
- A firm understanding of middle school philosophy and a passion for working with Middle School students
- Willingness to sponsor co-curricular activities
- A positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
- Expertise in building active, collaborative classroom programs which encourage problem solving, critical thinking skills, and which develop a sense of classroom community and trust
- A solid understanding of a middle school organization, programs and students
- A proven ability to differentiate instruction and integrate learning
- A willingness and ability to reflect and critically examine teaching practices, set goals, and commit to continuous improvement
- Proficient in integrating technology in student learning.
Preferred skills and experience
- Strong organizational and time management abilities
- Experience with and/or understanding of:
- Curriculum and assessment development (particularly standards-based assessment)
- Unit planning using Understanding by Design
- Using hands on activities and assessment to help students make connections to the world around them
- Working within an Advisory program model
- Teaching in a One to One learning environment
- Experience with service learning
- The Middle School science teacher will teach five periods of an eight-period rotating block schedule; four of which are science at a specific grade level. *Additionally, this teacher may be asked to teach one section of another subject; either an elective or an exploratory class. The assignment of this subject is dependent upon the strengths of the successful candidate and will be made by the principal.
- A 30-minute Advisory period is also included in the teacher’s responsibilities. Weekly team meetings will occur (or more frequently if required) and common planning time is embedded in the master schedule for all core teams.
- AISJ values continuous improvement and provides weekly professional growth and collaboration time from 1:45 pm to 4:00 pm on Wednesdays.
- In addition to the subject responsibilities, teachers at AISJ are welcomed into a collegial and collaborative working environment. In support of this teachers are expected to:
- Communicate and liaise on a regular basis with fellow department/grade members with regard to planning, assessment, parent and community contact, subject organization and classroom issues such including discipline, expectations and routines
- Communicate and liaise with other school colleagues in an effort to promote and establish integrative links and/or awareness
- Take an active role in behavioral management and pastoral care of class and advisory groups
- Attend and constructively contribute in staff and department/grade meetings
- Assist in supervision of student breaks
- Coordinate class activities as deemed necessary
- Contribute to and support school improvement plans and initiatives
- Maintain up-to-date records of assessment, attendance, planning, reports, conferences, and communication with parents
- Establish regular links with your parent community to ensure that parents are kept well informed about student progress
- Assist, as required, in the development of curricular materials
- Act as a resource/contact/support for new staff members (i.e. curriculum, schedules, procedures)
- Lead co-curricular after school activities
- Chaperone annual Classroom Without Walls class trip
- Participate in and assist with school events as required
INSPIRE LEARNING AND BUILD OUR BETTER WORLD
The purpose of AISJ is to provide exceptional educational experiences in a diverse and nurturing environment in order to inspire learning and build our better world. We cultivate an inclusive community of learners so that we empower global citizens to fulfil their future purpose.
The American International School of Johannesburg fosters a positive culture and is committed to Community Principles that include:
- We are better when we act together.
- Our differences make us stronger.
- Every voice counts. Every voice matters.
- Every team needs individuals. Every individual needs a team.
07:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday, through Friday.
In order to complete the AISJ application process, please click here and complete the electronic form. Information captured on this form will be stored on a secure database and will be used to complete a quick reference check on vacancy compatibility. Please take note all couples need to submit individual applications.