Middle School Physical Education Teacher South Africa Teaching Jobs 2021
Middle School Physical Education Teacher
Middle School Physical Education Teacher South Africa Teaching Jobs 2021 | Introduction
The American International School of Johannesburg is committed to fostering justice, equity, diversity and inclusion throughout our school community, and we are continually furthering our practices and behaviours as we strive to live these ideals.
Child Protection Statement
AISJ maintains strong child protection policies & procedures, this ensures that our students can pursue their education in a safe, secure, and caring environment. All faculty and staff are required to undergo criminal background checks, attend annual training sessions and sign a safeguarding agreement.
The Middle School Physical Education (PE) teacher will serve as a member of the middle school team committed to fulfilling the school’s vision, mission, core values, and goals collaborating regularly with the other members of the team to plan integrated units, learning engagements, and to promote the educational needs of all middle school students. While also serving as a core advisor to middle school students, this position requires an acute understanding of the developmental uniqueness of the middle level learner and a desire to work with and advocate for this age group.
In collaboration with other PE department colleagues, the middle school PE teacher will teach the acquisition of knowledge and skills in support of the AISJ PE program. The mission of physical education at AISJ is to enable all students to sustain regular, lifelong physical activity as a foundation for a healthy, productive, and fulfilling life. Physical education is a sequential program based on physical activities undertaken in an active, caring, supportive, and non-threatening atmosphere in which every student is challenged and successful. The role also requires a commitment to teaching a component of the middle school electives program and coaching an AISJ athletic team.
- Teaching certification appropriate to age level and subject specializations
- A minimum of an undergraduate degree in education or the area of expertise required
- Master’s degree or similar preferred
- Previous teaching experience, and strong knowledge in the area of specializations
- Ability to communicate well with middle school students
- Experience in curriculum and assessment development
- Recent and relevant professional development
- Expertise in building active, collaborative classroom programs which encourage problem solving, critical thinking skills, and which develop a sense of classroom community and trust
- Understanding of Middle School philosophy and an ability to communicate well with middle school students
- A positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
- A proven ability to differentiate instruction and integrate learning
- Coaching experience, particularly in volleyball, soccer, basketball, or swimming
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to establish positive relationships with colleagues
- Strategic, receptive, flexible
- Strong organizational ability and initiative
- Follows through on decisions
- Has an ability to inspire and motivate others
Preferred skills and Experience
Strong organizational and time management abilities
Experience with and/or understanding of:
- curriculum and assessment development (particularly standards based assessment)
- unit planning using Understanding by Design
- using hands on activities and assessment to help students make connections to the world around them
- technology integration
- The Middle School physical education teacher will teach five periods of an eight-period rotating block schedule
- A 30-minute advisory period, three times per week, is also included in the teacher’s responsibilities. Weekly team meetings will occur (more frequently if required) and common planning time is embedded in the master schedule for the Physical Education team.
- AISJ values continuous improvement and provides weekly professional growth and collaboration time from 1:45 to 4:00 on Wednesdays.
- In addition to the subject responsibilities, teachers at AISJ are welcomed into a collegial and collaborative working environment. In
support of this teachers are expected to:
- Communicate and liaise on a regular basis with fellow department/grade level members with regard to planning, assessment, parent and community contact, subject organization and classroom management
- Communicate and liaise with other school colleagues in an effort to promote and establish integrative links
- Take an active role in advisory groups
- Attend and constructively contribute in staff, department and grade meetings
- Assist in supervision of student breaks
- Coordinate class activities as deemed necessary
- Maintain up-to-date records of assessment, attendance, planning, reports, conferences, and communication with parents
- Establish links with the parent community to ensure that parents are kept well informed about student progress
- Assist in the development of curricular materials
- Participate in and assist with school events as required
- Contribute to and support school improvement plans and initiatives
- Lead co-curricular after school activities
- Chaperone classroom without walls if necessary
INSPIRE LEARNING AND BUILD OUR BETTER WORLD
The purpose of AISJ is to provide exceptional educational experiences in a diverse and nurturing environment in order to inspire learning and build our better world. We cultivate an inclusive community of learners so that we empower global citizens to fulfil their future purpose.
The American International School of Johannesburg fosters a positive culture and is committed to Community Principles that include:
- We are better when we act together.
- Our differences make us stronger.
- Every voice counts. Every voice matters.
- Every team needs individuals. Every individual needs a team.
7:10 am to 3:30 pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
7:10 am to 4:00 pm on Wednesday
In order to complete the AISJ application process, please click the link on the AISJ website vacancy portal and complete the electronic form. Information captured on this form will be stored on a secure database and will be used to complete a quick reference check on vacancy compatibility. Please take note all faculty couples need to submit individual applications.