Middle School Language Arts Teacher South Africa Teaching Jobs 2021
Middle School Language Arts Teacher
Middle School Language Arts Teacher South Africa Teaching Jobs 2021 | Introduction
The American International School of Johannesburg is committed to fostering justice, equity, diversity and inclusion throughout our school community, and we are continually furthering our practices and behaviours as we strive to live these ideals.
Child Protection Statement
AISJ maintains strong child protection policies & procedures, this ensures that our students can pursue their education in a safe, secure, and caring environment. All faculty and staff are required to undergo criminal background checks, attend annual training sessions and sign a safeguarding agreement.
The Middle School Language Arts teacher will serve as a core member of a developing Middle School team committed to fulfilling the school’s vision, mission, core beliefs, and goals collaborating regularly with the other members of the team to plan integrated units, activities, and discuss students to promote the educational needs of all Middle School learners. This position requires an acute understanding of the developmental uniqueness of the middle level learner and a desire to work with and advocate for this age group. AISJ program strives to provide students the opportunity to acquire both core knowledge and a firm grasp of reasoning and practice in inquiry and research. Hands on learning activities and assessment that make connections to student’s world around them are essential to our program; preferably through integrated subject units. AISJ is dedicated to providing a student-centered, collaborative and cross- curricular approach in support of literacy in all subject areas. Such an approach, we believe, will best prepare and empower them to become responsible, lifelong learners and competent, compassionate, effective communicators. The Middle School Language Arts teacher will have responsibility for integrating and teaching classes in two grade levels depending on their experience and background. The schedule is currently an eight-day rotating block schedule.
- Current teaching certification appropriate to age level and subject specializations
- A minimum of an undergraduate degree in Education or the area of expertise required
- Master’s degree is preferred
- Previous teaching experience, and strong knowledge in the area of specializations at the required levels of study
Preferred skills and Experience
- A firm understanding of Middle School philosophy and a passion for working with Middle School students
- Willingness to supervise co-curricular roles
- A positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
- Expertise in building active, collaborative classroom programs which encourage problem solving, critical thinking skills, and which develop a sense of classroom community and trust
- A solid understanding of a middle school organization, programs and students
- A proven ability to differentiate instruction and integrate learning
- Proficient in integrating technology in student learning.
- Strong organizational and time management abilities
- A team player with the ability to take initiative
- Understanding of and experience using “Understanding by Design” unit planning.
- Experience with designing and implementing effective units of study within a reading and writing workshop approach
- Experience with designing and implementing effective and creative inquiry-based units of study
- Experience with and understanding of 6 + 1 Traits Writing
- Experience teaching ELL/EAL a plus
- Working within an Advisory program model
- Teaching in a One to One laptop learning environment
- An ability to multi-task
AISJ values continuous improvement and provides weekly professional growth and collaboration time from 1:45 to 4:00 on Wednesdays. In addition to the subject responsibilities, teachers at AISJ are welcomed into a collegial and collaborative working environment. In support of this teachers are expected to:
- Communicate and liaise on a regular basis with fellow department/grade members with regard to planning, assessment, parent and community contact, subject organization and classroom issues such including discipline, expectations and routines
- Communicate and liaise with other school colleagues in an effort to promote and establish integrative links and/or awareness
- A 30-minute advisory period, three times per week, is also included in the teacher’s responsibilities.
- Weekly team meetings will occur (more frequently if required) and common planning time is embedded in the master schedule for the Language Arts team.
- Attend and constructively contribute in staff and department/grade meetings
- Assist in supervision of student breaks
- Contribute to and support school improvement plans and initiatives
- Maintain up-to-date records of assessment, attendance, planning, reports, conferences, and communication with parents
- Establish regular links with your parent community to ensure that parents are kept well informed about student progress
- Assist, as required, in the development of curricular materials
- Sponsor co-curricular after school activities
- Chaperone annual Classroom Without Walls class trip
- Participate in and assist with school events as required
INSPIRE LEARNING AND BUILD OUR BETTER WORLD
The purpose of AISJ is to provide exceptional educational experiences in a diverse and nurturing environment in order to inspire learning and build our better world. We cultivate an inclusive community of learners so that we empower global citizens to fulfil their future purpose.
The American International School of Johannesburg fosters a positive culture and is committed to Community Principles that include:
- We are better when we act together.
- Our differences make us stronger.
- Every voice counts. Every voice matters.
- Every team needs individuals. Every individual needs a team.
7:10 am to 3:30 pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
7:10 am to 4:00 pm on Wednesday
In order to complete the AISJ application process, please click the link on the AISJ website vacancy portal and complete the electronic form. Information captured on this form will be stored on a secure database and will be used to complete a quick reference check on vacancy compatibility. Please take note all faculty couples need to submit individual