High School Counselor South Africa Teaching Jobs 2021
High School Counselor
High School Counselor South Africa Teaching Jobs 2021 | Introduction
The American International School of Johannesburg is committed to fostering justice, equity, diversity and inclusion throughout our school community, and we are continually furthering our practices and behaviours as we strive to live these ideals.
Child Protection Statement
AISJ maintains strong child protection policies & procedures, this ensures that our students can pursue their education in a safe, secure, and caring environment. All faculty and staff are required to undergo criminal background checks, attend annual training sessions and sign a safeguarding agreement.
This full-time counseling position includes social/emotional and college counseling for a portion of each grade level working as a member of our counseling team.
The High School Counselor will have:
- Secondary license or certification in counseling with a Master’s Degree in counseling
- At least 5 years of experience in a counseling role
- Experience as a counselor or related experience
- Experience as a college counselor
- Knowledge of child protection issues
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, teachers and others
- Positive attitude
- Ability to participate in and establish collaborative structures
- Understanding of students’ academic, college, career and personal needs
- Proven ability to build innovative programs
- Experience with Powerschool
Preferred skills and Experience
- Recent and relevant professional development in the field of counseling
- Proven ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Experience leading, building, supporting innovative program development
- Extensive experience as a social/emotional counsellor, and in building programs to support Social Emotional Learning in schools
- Extensive experience as counsellor working with parents
- Knowledge and understanding of the ISCA and/or ASCA frameworks
- Schedules students in Powerschool
- Communicates directly with teachers and parents regarding student progress, when needed
- Collaborates with high school leaderships and counsellors to coordinate services for students
- Consults with classroom teachers around student progress
- Helps coordinate standardized testing in the high school
- Provides support to students and families
- Assists students and families in transition
- Provides small group and individual student counseling
- Communicate and liaise with colleagues to promote social and emotional learning
- Builds and actively promotes Eagle Forum program (advisory)
- Leads development of social and emotional curricular materials
- Act as a resource/contact/support for new staff members (i.e. curriculum, schedules, procedures)
- Coordinates and facilitates staff and parent child protection training and workshops
- Contribute at least 15 hours beyond the regular contract time to supervise student activities
- Participate in and assist with school events as required
INSPIRE LEARNING AND BUILD OUR BETTER WORLD
The purpose of AISJ is to provide exceptional educational experiences in a diverse and nurturing environment in order to inspire learning and build our better world. We cultivate an inclusive community of learners so that we empower global citizens to fulfil their future purpose.
The American International School of Johannesburg fosters a positive culture and is committed to Community Principles that include:
- We are better when we act together.
- Our differences make us stronger.
- Every voice counts. Every voice matters.
- Every team needs individuals. Every individual needs a team.
7:10 am to 3:30 pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
7:10 am to 4:00 pm on Wednesday
In order to complete the AISJ application process, please click the link on the AISJ website vacancy portal and complete the electronic form. Information captured on this form will be stored on a secure database and will be used to complete a quick reference check on vacancy compatibility. Please take note all faculty couples need to submit individual applications.