JOB DESCRIPTION Pretoria Campus School Counselor PreK Grade 8 South Africa Teaching Jobs
JOB DESCRIPTION: Pretoria Campus School Counselor (PreK – Grade 8)
JOB DESCRIPTION Pretoria Campus School Counselor PreK Grade 8 South Africa Teaching Jobs | Campus Pretoria Campus, American International School of Johannesburg
Direct Supervisor Pretoria Campus Principal
The American International School of Johannesburg is committed to fostering justice, equity, diversity and inclusion throughout our school community, and we are continually furthering our practices and behaviors as we strive to live these ideals.
Child Protection Statement
AISJ maintains strong child protection policies & procedures, this ensures that our students can pursue their education in a safe, secure, and caring environment. All faculty and staff are required to undergo criminal background checks, attend annual training sessions and sign a safeguarding agreement.
AISJ is dedicated to providing a student-centered, collaborative, and transdisciplinary approach to learning. Such an approach will best prepare and empower students to become responsible lifelong learners and competent, compassionate individuals. AISJ educators will have a strong understanding of best practices including a familiarity with learning sciences. AISJ is a school committed to improved justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion for all. AISJ bases its instruction in conceptual, connected and personalized learning.
The Pretoria Campus Counselor plays a vital role in the development of student’s social and emotional growth from Pre-K to Grade 8. The Counselor works in partnership with all members of the community to promote and foster positive working relationships in the best interests of student learning, providing support and guidance for families when necessary. He/she will work closely with faculty and parents to support their role in developing the social and emotional well-being of students. In working directly with the Principal, the Counselor will help implement efficient and effective systems to ensure student’s academic, social and emotional needs are being met.
Qualifications and Experience
- Knowledge of Child Protection policies and procedures
- K – 12 (or at least K-8) license or certification in counseling with a master’s degree
- At least 5 years of experience in working with a variety of special needs
- Experience as an elementary and middle school counselor or related experience
- Recent and relevant professional development in the field of counseling
- Proven ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and at multiple levels
- Experience in implementing developmentally appropriate elementary and middle school counseling programs
- Experience and expertise in running effective parent education workshops
- Experience in working with social/emotional and behavioral challenges, disorders, and disabilities
- Ability to interpret educational psychological assessments and academic assessments
- Knowledge of learning disabilities and learning disorders
- Experience in dealing with academic support as it relates to the above disorders
- Successful practice of working with parents and students in a counseling role
- Positive attitude with a calm and consistent approach
- Ability to communicate effectively with others
- Is a highly flexible thinker
- Builds strong, positive working relationships with colleagues
- Ability to participate in and establish collaborative structures
- Deep understanding of students needs at the elementary and middle school level
- Uses initiative and is proactive
- Follows through on decisions
- Is a key member in training all adults within our school community in Child Protection and Safeguarding children
- Works collaboratively with the Principal to actively develop the social and emotional well-being of the students, staff and families within the community
- Actively participates in The Child Study Team process under the direction of the Principal
- Collaborates with the Principal, Learning Support Coordinator and the Learning Support teachers to develop programs for students with learning needs
- Develops guidance programs for direct instruction within the classroom (PK-Grade 8)
- Works with classroom teachers through observations, strategy development, and the CST process
- Provides information and consults with staff and parents regarding various learning needs and topics related to learning support
- Works with the Principal, Learning Support Team and classroom teachers to determine class placement
- Provides support to Admissions through application review, observations, and recommendations
- Collaboratively assists students and families as they transition in and out of school
- Coordinates small group and individual counseling sessions with students
General Teaching Responsibilities
In addition to the specialist level expectations, teachers at AISJ are welcomed into a collegial and collaborative working environment. In support of this, teachers are expected to:
Communicate and liaise on a regular basis with fellow team department/grade members with regards to planning, assessment, parent and community contact, subject organization and classroom issues including discipline, expectations and routines
- Communicate and liaise with other school colleagues to promote social and emotional awareness
- Take an active role in positive behavioral strategies and classroom management
- Attend and constructively contribute in meetings
- Assist in supervision of student breaks for the safety and wellbeing of all
- Coordinate class activities as deemed necessary
- Maintain up-to-date records of assessment, attendance, planning, reports, conferences, and communication with parents
- Establish links with the parent community to ensure that parents are kept well informed about student progress
- Assist, as required, in the development of social and emotional curricular materials
- Act as a resource/contact/support for new staff members (i.e., curriculum, schedules, procedures)
- Participate in at least one co-curricular activities per year
- Participate in and assist with school events as required
INSPIRE LEARNING AND BUILD OUR BETTER WORLD The purpose of AISJ is to provide exceptional educational experiences in a diverse and nurturing environment in order to inspire learning and build our better world. We cultivate an inclusive community of learners so that we empower global citizens to fulfill their future purpose.
The American International School of Johannesburg fosters a positive culture and is committed to Community Principles that include:
- We are better when we act together.
- Our differences make us stronger.
- Every voice counts. Every voice matters.
- Every team needs individuals. Every individual needs a team.
Application process In order to complete the AISJ application process, please click here and complete the electronic form. Information captured on this form will be stored on a secure database and will be used to complete a quick reference check on vacancy compatibility. Please take note all couples need to submit individual applications.