Middle School Spanish Teacher South Africa Teaching Jobs 2021
Middle School Spanish Teacher
Middle School Spanish Teacher South Africa Teaching Jobs 2021 | Introduction
The American International School of Johannesburg is committed to fostering justice, equity, diversity and inclusion throughout our school community, and we are continually furthering our practices and behaviours as we strive to live these ideals.
Child Protection Statement
AISJ maintains strong child protection policies & procedures, this ensures that our students can pursue their education in a safe, secure, and caring environment. All faculty and staff are required to undergo criminal background checks, attend annual training sessions and sign a safeguarding agreement.
In collaboration with other AISJ World Languages teachers, the Middle School Spanish teacher will promote the development of Spanish communication skills (speaking, listening, and writing) and cultural connections and appreciation. Our World Languages program is holistic in design. With students of various levels and grades mixed together in the classroom, differentiation to meet student’s unique needs is essential. We believe students best develop a second language when immersed in activities that connect to larger understandings of the real world around them.
Activities and performance assessments that are social, collaborative, and authentic are essential to our program.
- Current teaching certification appropriate to age level and subject specializations
- A minimum of an undergraduate degree in Education or the area of expertise required
- A minimum of three years teaching experience, preferably in international school settings
- Previous teaching experience, and strong knowledge in the area of specializations at the required levels of study
- Understanding of Middle School philosophy and an ability to communicate well with middle school students
- A positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
- Expertise in building active, collaborative classroom programs, which encourage problem solving, critical thinking skills, and develop a sense of classroom community and trust
- A solid understanding of a Middle School organization, programs and students
- A proven ability to differentiate instruction and integrate learning
- A willingness and ability to reflect and critically examine teaching practices, set goals, and commit to continuous improvement
Preferred skills and Experience
- Strong organizational and time management abilities
- Experience with and/or understanding of:
- curriculum and assessment development (particularly standards based assessment)
- unit planning using Understanding by Design
- using hands on activities and assessment to help students make connections to the world around them
- technology integration
The Middle School Spanish teacher will teach five periods of an eight period rotating block to middle school students. Spanish classes are scheduled by proficiency with the language. Spanish 1, Spanish 2, and Spanish 3 classes are comprised of mixed grade levels with students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade making up classes.
- A 30-minute advisory period, three times per week, is also included in the teacher’s responsibilities. Weekly team meetings will occur (more frequently if required) and common planning time is embedded in the master schedule for the World Languages team.
- AISJ values continuous improvement and provides weekly professional growth and collaboration time from 1:45 to 4:00 on Wednesdays.
- In addition to the subject responsibilities, teachers at AISJ are welcomed into a collegial and collaborative working environment. In support of this teachers are expected to:
- Communicate and liaise on a regular basis with fellow department/grade members with regard to planning, assessment, parent and community contact, subject organization and classroom issues such including discipline, expectations and routines
- Communicate and liaise with other school colleagues in an effort to promote and establish integrative links and/or awareness
- Take an active role in behavioral management and pastoral care of class and advisory groups
- Attend and constructively contribute in staff and department/grade meetings
- Assist in supervision of student breaks
- Coordinate class activities as deemed necessary
- Contribute to and support school improvement plans and initiatives
- Maintain up-to-date records of assessment, attendance, planning, reports, conferences, and communication with parents
- Establish regular links with your parent community to ensure that parents are kept well informed about student progress
- Assist, as required, in the development of curricular materials
- Act as a resource/contact/support for new staff members (i.e. curriculum, schedules, procedures)
- Lead co-curricular after school activities
- Chaperone annual Classroom Without Walls class trip
- Participate in and assist with school events as required
INSPIRE LEARNING AND BUILD OUR BETTER WORLD
The purpose of AISJ is to provide exceptional educational experiences in a diverse and nurturing environment in order to inspire learning and build our better world. We cultivate an inclusive community of learners so that we empower global citizens to fulfil their future purpose.
The American International School of Johannesburg fosters a positive culture and is committed to Community Principles that include:
- We are better when we act together.
- Our differences make us stronger.
- Every voice counts. Every voice matters.Every team needs individuals. Every individual needs a team.
7:10 am to 3:30 pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
7:10 am to 4:00 pm on Wednesday
In order to complete the AISJ application process, please click the link on the AISJ website vacancy portal and complete the electronic form. Information captured on this form will be stored on a secure database and will be used to complete a quick reference check on vacancy compatibility. Please take note all faculty couples need to submit individual applications.