JOB DESCRIPTION Part Time Music Teacher Pre Kindergarten to Grade 2 South Africa Teaching Jobs
JOB DESCRIPTION: Part Time Music Teacher, Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 2
JOB DESCRIPTION Part Time Music Teacher Pre Kindergarten to Grade 2 South Africa Teaching Jobs | Campus Johannesburg Campus
Direct Supervisor Elementary School Principal
The American International School of Johannesburg is committed to fostering justice, equity, diversity and inclusion throughout our school community, and we are continually furthering our practices and behaviors as we strive to live these ideals.
Child Protection Statement
AISJ maintains strong child protection policies & procedures, this ensures that our students can pursue their education in a safe, secure, and caring environment. All faculty and staff are required to undergo criminal background checks, attend annual training sessions and sign a safeguarding agreement.
The Music Teacher will be responsible for developing and implementing a music program for students in pre-kindergarten to grade two. This is a part time position. Our music program is designed to foster a lifelong love of music for all students, therefore the successful candidate will have experience in working in an early childhood environment that nurtures students’ love for music through performances and developmentally appropriate curriculum and instruction. The Lower Elementary Music Teacher will work closely with the Upper Elementary Music Teacher, as well as the Middle and High School Music department, to continue to build on our current program, teach units of inquiry, and plan curriculum aligned to AISJ’s standards and benchmarks. They will be responsible for leading musical performances within grade levels and across the entire elementary school. The successful candidate must demonstrate a passion for teaching elementary music and understand the important role music plays in both the social/emotional development and academic growth of the youngest learners within our school.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in music preferred
- Bachelor of Education
- Appropriate elementary teaching certification
- A willingness to innovate and inspire
- A strong knowledge and understanding of developmentally appropriate instructional practices within an elementary school context
- Experience teaching elementary music, preferably in an international school setting, or with students from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Strong classroom management skills, appropriate for early childhood age students
- An ability to communicate well with all ages of elementary school students, staff and parents
- A deep understanding of curriculum and an ability to use initiative to plan instruction and assess learning outcomes using standards and benchmarks
- An indepth knowledgeable of current research, curriculum and pedagogy related to early childhood music instruction
- A positive attitude and is a commitment to collaborating with others
- A proven ability to differentiate instruction to meet individual needs and integrate learning into other subject areas
- An ability to play at least one instrument proficiently
- Knowledge of and an ability to administer a wide range of assessment tools
- Experience with “Understanding by Design” (UbD)
- Recent professional development specific to elementary music
- A love for singing and a willingness to lead school singing groups and performances
- A willingness to lead assemblies, musical and other music performances within the school
- A desire to promote a life-long love of music across the entire elementary school community.
General Teaching Responsibilities
In addition to the grade level expectations, teachers at AISJ are welcomed into a collegial and collaborative working environment. In support of this, teachers are expected to:
Communicate and liaise on a regular basis with fellow team department/grade members with regards to planning, assessment, parent and community contact, subject organization and classroom issues including; discipline, expectations and classroom routines
- Communicate and liaise with other school colleagues in an effort to promote and establish integrative links and/or awareness
- Take an active role in behavioral management and pastoral care of students
- Use a range of strategies to differentiate learning where needed
- Attend and constructively contribute to faculty meetings and workshops
- Assist in supervision of students during recess
- Coordinate class activities as deemed necessary
- Maintain up-to-date records of assessment, attendance, planning, reports, conferences, and communication with parents
- Establish links with your parent community to ensure that parents are kept well informed about student progress
- Assist, as required, in the development of a strong early childhood program
- Act as a resource/contact/support for new staff members (i.e. curriculum, schedules, procedures)
- Participate in at least one co-curricular activity per year
- Participate in and assist with school events as required
INSPIRE LEARNING AND BUILD OUR BETTER WORLD The purpose of AISJ is to provide exceptional educational experiences in a diverse and nurturing environment in order to inspire learning and build our better world. We cultivate an inclusive community of learners so that we empower global citizens to fulfill their future purpose.
The American International School of Johannesburg fosters a positive culture and is committed to Community Principles that include:
- We are better when we act together.
- Our differences make us stronger.
- Every voice counts. Every voice matters.
- Every team needs individuals. Every individual needs a team.
Application process In order to complete the AISJ application process, please click here and complete the electronic form. Information captured on this form will be stored on a secure database and will be used to complete a quick reference check on vacancy compatibility. Please take note all couples need to submit individual applications.