Elementary Learning Support South Africa Teaching Jobs 2021
JOB DESCRIPTION: Elementary Learning Support
Elementary Learning Support South Africa Teaching Jobs 2021 | Campus Johannesburg campus
Direct Supervisor Elementary School Principal
The American International School of Johannesburg is committed to fostering justice, equity, diversity and inclusion throughout our school community, and we are continually furthering our practices and behaviors as we strive to live these ideals.
Child Protection Statement
AISJ maintains strong child protection policies & procedures, this ensures that our students can pursue their education in a safe, secure, and caring environment. All faculty and staff are required to undergo criminal background checks, attend annual training sessions and sign a safeguarding agreement.
The Learning Support Teacher will be responsible for supporting the academic and social and emotional needs of students within the elementary school. They will work with students who have mild to moderate learning needs. The Learning Support Teacher works closely with classroom teachers to co-plan, co-teach and assess students in an effort to meet the varying needs of students within our school. They play a pivotal role in developing collaborative relationships with administrators, teachers and parents to create individual learning plans with clearly articulated goals and strategies. The Learning Support Teacher is a key member of the Child Study Team. Together with the school counselor and other learning support teachers and administrators, they provide direct instruction for students with learning needs using a strong differentiation model.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Special Education (Master’s Degree preferred)
- Bachelor of Education
- K – 12 or K – 5 license or certification
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Ability to collaborate and empower classroom teachers to feel capable of meeting the needs of all students within their class
- Recent professional development in various areas of special education
- Experience with using various co-teaching models
- Experience as a classroom teacher
- A solid understanding of the characteristics of a socially and emotionally literate school Proven ability to work in a diverse school environment
- Experience in developing curriculum and parent workshops
- Experience in working with emotional and behavioral disabilities
- Ability to interpret educational psychological assessments and academic assessments
- Knowledge of screening tools for admissions and assessments relevant to special education
- Knowledge of learning disabilities and learning disorders
- Knowledge of the language learning process
- Experience with a range of developmentally appropriate assessments and intervention programs pertaining to Special Education
- Experience and training in the delivery of a highly structured tier three reading program.Introduction The American International School of Johannesburg is committed to fostering justice, equity, diversity and inclusion throughout our school community, and we are continually furthering our practices and behaviours as we strive to live these ideals. Child Protection Statement AISJ maintains strong child protection policies & procedures, this ensures that our students can pursue their education in a safe, secure, and caring environment. All faculty and staff are required to undergo criminal background checks, attend annual training sessions and sign a safeguarding agreement.
- Effective communication skills
- A positive attitude
- Collaborative, strategic, receptive, flexible
- A solid understanding of UbD, Differentiation and Inquiry
- Strong organizational ability and initiative
General Teaching Responsibilities
In addition to the specialist level expectations, teachers at AISJ are welcomed into a collegial and collaborative working environment. In support of this, teachers are expected to:
- Communicate and liaise on a regular basis with fellow team department/grade members with regards to planning, assessment, parent and community contact, subject organization and classroom issues such including discipline, expectations and routines
- Communicate and liaise with other school colleagues in an effort to promote and social and emotional awareness
- Take an active role in behavioral management and pastoral care of class groups
- Attend and constructively contribute to staff meetings
- Assist in supervision of student breaks
- Coordinate class activities as deemed necessary
- Maintain up-to-date records of assessment, attendance, planning, reports, conferences, and communication with parents
- Establish links with the parent community to ensure that parents are kept well informed about student progress
- Act as a resource/contact/support for new staff members (i.e. curriculum, schedules, procedures)
- Participate in at least one co-curricular activity per year
- Participate in and assist with school events as required
INSPIRE LEARNING AND BUILD OUR BETTER WORLD The purpose of AISJ is to provide exceptional educational experiences in a diverse and nurturing environment in order to inspire learning and build our better world. We cultivate an inclusive community of learners so that we empower global citizens to fulfill their future purpose.
The American International School of Johannesburg fosters a positive culture and is committed to Community Principles that include:
- We are better when we act together.
- Our differences make us stronger.
- Every voice counts. Every voice matters.
- Every team needs individuals. Every individual needs a team.
Application process In order to complete the AISJ application process, please click here and complete the electronic form. Information captured on this form will be stored on a secure database and will be used to complete a quick reference check on vacancy compatibility. Please take note all couples need to submit individual applications.