SAILI High School Scholarship South Africa 2023 – 2024
ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER – SAILI
SAILI High School Scholarship South Africa | SAILI (SA Improved Learning Initiative) offers scholarship opportunities to deserving and hardworking candidates while also offering its support to high-performing schools by providing them with only the best scholars. SAILI believes that Mathematics and Science are the subjects that are needed to give future access to science-and-technology-based tertiary education. It believes that these fields are vital to the economy and thus aims to continuously contribute to the South African Science and Technology sector.
Since 1996, SAILI has sent more than 500 students to tertiary studies in fields such as Commerce, Engineering, Medicine, and Science.
SAILI would not be able to offer these scholarship awards without its amazing donors, who are the backbone of the organization. Donors provide more than funding – they also provide mentoring and support to learners, work-shadow opportunities and project development guidance to SAILI. Some of SAILI’s donors include; Aurecon, Coronation, Kantey | Templer, Investec, Polyoak Packaging and FutureGrowth Asset Management.
ABOUT THE SAILI HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
SAILI (SA Improved Learning Initiative) is inviting students to apply for the SAILI High School scholarship, for the 2024 academic year.
Scholarships will be awarded to students entering high school (Grade 8) in 2024, who are gifted in Mathematics and Science. The scholarship is targeted at candidates from low-income families who may not have the means to fund their high school studies – students will pursue studies at SAILI’s partner schools:
- Bergvliet High School
- Claremont High School
- De Kuilen High School
- Milnerton High School
- Pinelands High School
- Rylands High School
- Spine Road High School
- South Peninsula High School
- The Settlers High School
Through this, SAILI hopes to identify and support the candidates into working parts of the state education system at a high school level. SAILI will also refer successful candidates to high-performing schools, allowing them to achieve their academic goals.
MORE ABOUT THE SAILI HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – EXPENSES COVERED | SELECTION
The scholarship will provide cover with the following expenses: school fees (up to R12 000 per year) and a tailored educational package that will cover stationary, textbooks, uniform and other school-related expenses. The tailored educational package will be up to R5300 a year and based on family income and other factors.
Students may also receive educational and psycho-social support (such as tutoring and counselling), on a needs basis.
The scholarship also offers the following benefits: educational outings focused on Mathematics and Science, workshops aimed at learning support and topics such as study skills and career planning and quarterly academic monitoring and feedback aimed at reflecting learning processes.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by no later than 30 January 2023 – if you do not receive any feedback by this date, please regard your application as unsuccessful.
Ngfinders.com is committed to keeping you up to date with the latest bursary opportunities, and this article covers all details about the SAILI High School Scholarship.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SAILI HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must currently be in Grade 6 in 2022 and be entering Grade 7 in 2022
- You must have achieved a minimum of code 6 (70%) for English, Mathematics and Natural Science in your Grade 6 Term 3 report
- You must have a gross monthly household income of less than R15 000 (before deductions)
- You must have applied or intend on applying to any of the partnership schools listed above, in the Western Cape, for the 2024 academic year
- You must have and maintain a positive approach to learning
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE SAILI HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIP
Applications must be submitted in 2 steps:
1) Apply online at; SAILI High School Scholarship Application
Enter “Ngfinders.com” in the field asking how you heard about the SAILI High School Scholarship.
2) Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- Birth Certificate (certified copy)
- Grade 6 Term 3 report
- Parents or guardians’ proof of income (latest payslips if employed/ affidavit if unemployed or informally employed/ proof of grant or pension if applicable) (certified copy)
- An essay on: Why do you think you will be a good candidate for this scholarship? What impact will this scholarship have on your and your family’s life? (Be sure to highlight your strengths, challenges, achievements, role model, and involvement in school and community.
NOTES ABOUT THE SAILI HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIP
- Candidates who receive the SAILI High School scholarship will be required to maintain an overall academic aggregate of 60% and take Mathematics and Science as subjects into the senior phase.
- Candidates are also expected to submit their reports each term to SAILI for monitoring and participation in all SAILI outings and workshops.
- If you have already been accepted to one of the partnership schools, this does NOT mean that you will automatically receive the scholarship award.
- Candidates are responsible for applying to the partnership high schools and gaining acceptance.
- SAILI will meet shortlisted candidates from when they are in Grade 6.
- In November 2022, two rounds of interviews will be conducted – the first a Mathematics test and then (if the candidate is successful) the second round which screens for motivation, maths, grit, orientation, self-reflection, and personal goal setting.
- Successful candidates will be selected in February 2022, allowing the student sufficient time to apply at the partner high schools.
- The scholarship will officially commence at the beginning of the Grade 8 year in 2024.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE SAILI HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIP
9 January 2023.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact SAILI directly:
NSFAS National Student Financial Aid Schemes
NSFAS: What is NSFAS?
NSFAS, or National Student Financial Aid Scheme, was established according to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme Act of 1999 and incorporated the Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa (TEFSA), which stopped operating in 2000.