Gauteng City-Region Academy (GCRA) Bursary South Africa 2023 – 2024
ABOUT THE COMPANY – GCRA
The Gauteng City-Region Academy (GCRA) is a branch of the Gauteng Department of Education, a sector of the South African government which is responsible for skill development within the Province. The GCRA helps develop the skills of students within the province, by way of facilitation and coordination of bursaries, internships, learnerships and career guidance programs.
ABOUT THE GCRA BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The Gauteng City Region Academy (GCRA) is inviting students residing in Gauteng, to apply for bursary funding for the 2022 academic year. The GCRA bursary provides funding Undergraduate and Postgraduate qualifications, in ANY field of study.
ABOUT THE GCRA BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & SELECTION
The bursary will provide cover for the following expenses: registration fees, tuition fees, accommodation in residence (to a maximum value of R65 000) or off-campus/ private accommodation (to a maximum value of R47 000), books, laptop and a living allowance for off-campus/ private accommodation.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted within 3 to 4 weeks after the application closing date – if you do not receive any feedback 4 weeks after the closing date, please regard your application as unsuccessful.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE GCRA BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must reside within the Gauteng province
- You must be between 18 and 35 years old
- You must have completed Matric
- Undergraduate students: you must be studying or have been accepted to study towards an undergraduate qualification at an accredited PSET institution (Post School Education and Training)
- Postgraduate students: you must be studying or have been accepted to study towards a postgraduate qualification at an accredited institution of higher learning
Students who meet either of the following 3 criteria will automatically qualify for the bursary (but they must still submit an application):
- Top achievers at a Gauteng-based school
- Top 3 learners from no-fee paying Gauteng-based school
- Top 3 learners from Learners with Special Education Needs (LSEN) Gauteng-based school
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE GCRA BURSARY
Applications must be done submitted online at: GCRA Bursary Application 2022
The application process will include the following steps:
Step 1: Personal Profile, including: personal information, address and contact information, Matric final results and details, and parent or guardian details.
Step 2: tertiary institution results and details, information about any other sponsors, uploading supporting documentation and agreeing to the terms and conditions.
If you are unsure which type of bursary to apply for, please note the following:
- New Intake means you applying to the GCRA bursary for the first time
- Renewal means you were funded by the GCRA bursary in the previous year, and you are now reapplying
- Reinstatement means your bursary was suspended, and you have now satisfied the conditions to have your bursary reinstated
- Top Achievers means you are one of the top Achiever within Gauteng
- Top 3 Achiever means you attended a no fee paying school
- Top 3 in LSEN (learners with special educational needs) Schools
- MEC/HOD Discretion means the MEC/HOD advised you to apply for a bursary
- Veteran Discretion means you are a child of a Military Veteran
- Financial Assistance means you have finance, but require assistance
- Top-Ups means you have an existing bursary, but need additional funding
If you need help with the bursary application process, please download the GCRA Bursary Application Guidelines (.pdf)
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR GCRA BURSARY APPLICATIONS
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric certificate (certified copy)
- Full academic record, if currently studying (certified copy)
- Proof of acceptance to study at a recognized PSET institution/ institution of higher learning (on institutions’ letterhead)
- Proof of address in Gauteng (Water and Electricity bill/ stamped ward councilors letter/ letter from traditional authority if in a rural area)
- Motivational letter (explaining why you require and deserve to be awarded the bursary: maximum 2 pages)
- Disability or medical report if disabled
- Parents or guardians proof of income (the latest payslips if employed/ affidavit if unemployed)
Note: ensure that your documents are labelled correctly (example: “ID copy” for the copy of your Identity Document), saved in PDF format and NOT bigger than 2 MB each
NOTES ABOUT THE GCRA BURSARY
- If you are having trouble accessing the GCRA portal, please check your internet connection or try another browser (Chrome, Safari or Internet Explorer).
- Be sure to take note of your login details (after you receive an SMS to confirm your registration on the GCRA system).
- Applicants may start their application, save and continue it at a later stage, but please note that you must “submit” your application before the closing date.
- If you were previously funded by GCRA for your undergraduate studies, and you are now applying for funding for your postgraduate studies, you will need to reapply as it is a new qualification (your details may be on the system still, and you will need to update them).
- Candidates who already hold another bursary may apply, if they require top-up funding – please indicate this on your application.
- If your application was declined, and you would like to appeal, you may do so by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- GCRA bursary funds are paid directly to the institution where successful candidates are studying, however certain funds (laptop and book allowance) may be paid directly to students. Living allowances will also be paid directly to students.
- Candidates who require assistive devices for their studies, may email email@example.com for further details.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE GCRA BURSARY
28 February 2022.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the Gauteng City Region Academy directly:
New bursary queries:
Bursary renewal queries:
Please read these Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) and answers before contacting GCRA.