Department of Mineral Resources Bursary South Africa 2023 – 2024
ABOUT THE COMPANY – DEPARTMENT OF MINERAL RESOURCES
The Department of Mineral Resources (DMR) was formed in 2009 and is a department of South Africa’s national government. In fact, the department’s history dates back to the 1890s under the Department of Mining.
The DMR is responsible for overseeing South Africa’s mining industry and mineral resources. They currently employ over 1000 staff members.
Headquartered in Pretoria, the DMR also has regional offices in Cape Town, Johannesburg, Port Elizabeth, Durban, Kimberley, Polokwane, Springbok, Welkom, Mthatha, Klerksdorp and eMalahleni.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT OF MINERAL RESOURCES AND ENERGY (DMRE) BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
Department of Mineral Resources and Energy (DMRE) is inviting students from disadvantaged backgrounds, to apply for their bursary programme, for the 2022 academic year.
The bursary is available to current and future undergraduate students, pursuing studies within mining and energy related fields, preferably the following:
- Bachelor of Science (Physics)
- Chemical Engineering (Mineral Processing)
- Electrical Engineering (Heavy Current)
- Electro-Mechenical Engineering
- Environmental Health and Management
- Industrial Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering (Extractive)
- Mining Engineering
- Mining Survey
- Rock Engineering
MORE ABOUT THE DMRE BURSARY PROGRAMME – SELECTION
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by no later than 31 January 2022 – if you do not receive any feedback by this date, please regard your application as unsuccessful.
Bursaries will be awarded at the sole discretion of the DMRE and the Department reserves the right not to award a bursary if a suitable candidate is not found.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE DMRE BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must be currently in Matric OR you must have completed Matric
- You must be studying OR intend on studying full-time within one of the aforementioned fields of study (undergraduate studies only – postgraduate qualifications will NOT be funded)
- You must be studying OR intend on studying at a University or University of Technology in South Africa
- You must have achieved a minimum level 6 or HG “B” symbol for Science in Matric
- You must have achieved a minimum level 6 or HG “B” symbol for Mathematics in Matric
- You must be in financial need
- You must be from a disadvantaged social background and from a rural area
- You must be currently unemployed
- Preference will be given to 1st year students
- Preference will be given to female students
- Students with disabilities are encouraged to apply
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE DMRE BURSARY
Download and complete the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy (DMRE) Bursary Application Form 2022 (.pdf)
- Please ensure that the application form is completed in full, using block letters and marking the relevant boxes with an “X”.
- Please only use the application form above – old and edited bursary application forms will not be accepted.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric certificate or Matric latest results (certified copy)
- Latest academic record (certified copy)
- Proof of university registration or acceptance
- Parents or guardians ID documents (certified copies)
- Parents or guardians death certificate, if deceased (certified copy)
- Affidavit if you do not know where one or both parents are
- Parents or guardians proof of income (payslips not older than 3 months if employed/ affidavit if unemployed)
- Proof of residence (municipal utility bill not older than 3 months/ stamped letter from tribal authority/ sworn affidavit)
- Motivational letter to support your application (on the application form)
Applications must be submitted in one of the following ways:
The Director: Ms. Nondumiso Zulu
The Department of Mineral Resources & Energy Trevenna Campus
70 Meintjies Street
Private Bag X59
– Email: GirlLearnerBursary@dmre.gov.za
CLOSING DATE FOR THE DMRE BURSARY
30 November 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy (DMRE) directly:
Contact People: Ms Morongwe Madisha (Tel: 012 444 3860) / Ms Olga Sedibe (Tel: 012 444 3309)