Bongani Mayosi National Health Scholars Programme (BM-NHSP) South Africa 2021 – 2022
ABOUT THE COMPANY – BM-NHSP
The Bongani Mayosi National Health Scholars Programme (BM-NHSP) is an initiative by the National Health Research Committee (NHRC) which aims to fund the train 1000 PhDs students over the next decade, in health and clinical research. The BM-NHSP Programme is in partnership with the South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC), the National Department of Health (NDoH) and the Public Health Enhancement Fund (PHEF).
ABOUT THE BM-NHSP BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED & COVERAGE VALUE
The Bongani Mayosi National Health Scholars Programme (BM-NHSP) is inviting PhD students to apply for funding, for the 2022 academic year.
The aim of the award is to build capacity in CoVID-19 research areas and its impact on these diseases: Communicable Disease, Health System Preparedness and Resilience to Pandemic Response (not restricted to CoVID-19), Maternal Neonatal and Child Health, and Non-Communicable Disease.
This funding opportunity targets health professionals in the following areas: Biomedical Engineers, Dentists and other Oral Health specialists, Dieticians, Medical Scientists, Occupational Therapists, Optometrists and Opticians, Pharmacists, Physiotherapists, Psychologists, Professional Nurses, Speech therapists and Audiologists, who are in the 1st year of PhD study, specialising in these research fields:
- Data Science
- Digital Health
- Health Economics
- Genomics/ Bioinformatics
- Microbiology/ Virology and Immunology
MORE ABOUT THE BM-NHSP BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & SELECTION
The bursary will provide funding for the full duration of the degree, as a full-time tax-free scholarship. The bursary value is dependent on the applicant’s after-tax take-home pay, in line with the public service professional scales of the qualification. The scholarship amount will remain fixed for the duration of the studies, based on the benchmarking process.
The final selection will be announced no later than 31 March 2022 and the scholarship will officially commence on 1 April 2022. Please note that if you do not receive any feedback, your application has not been successful.
The South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC) reserves the right to disqualify applications that are ineligible, incomplete or inappropriate, they also reserve the right to change any conditions of the award, extend the closing date or not award the scholarship if a suitable candidate is not found.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE BM-NHSP BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen OR a South African permanent resident
- You must have completed an MBChB or a Master’s degree qualification
- You must intend on pursuing PhD studies, at any recognised university in South Africa, in 2022
- You must have a fully developed research proposal for PhD study, that has been accepted by your University
- You must be currently registered at the university where your degree will be awarded
- Your research project must be in line with the priority research areas and fields listed above
- You must have a written commitment of participation, from an experienced research supervisor at your University, who is willing to train you until your degree is complete
- You must have the following available to conduct the PhD research project: research funding, infrastructure and environment
- You must NOT receive any funding through another RCD scholarship programme
- You must read and agree to all of the scholarship conditions, on the application form below
- Preference will be given to candidates from designated groups, Universities, and or under-researched priority research niches
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BM-NHSP BURSARY
Candidates who meet all of the criteria must follow these steps to apply:
1) Complete the online application: Bongani Mayosi National Health Scholars Programme (BM-NHSP) Application
2) Download and complete the Bongani Mayosi National Health Scholars Programme (BM-NHSP) Application (.pdf)
3) Submit clear copies of the following supporting documents, via email to: Lindokuhle.Ndlandla@mrc.ac.za
(Insert the words “BM-NHSP Application 2022” in the email subject line).
The submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified:
- Completed Application form
- South African ID document (certified by a Commissioner of Oath)
- Motivational letter demonstrating your suitability for the programme and how receiving the award will positively impact your career (1 page)
- Abridged Curriculum Vitae with a full list of research outputs within the last 5 years, as well as other meritorious achievements
- An official letter stating the first date of registration for the degree to be funded
- Proof of ethics clearance
- Support letter outlining the availability of research funding or running cost
- Abstract of the PhD proposal, aligned with the priority research areas, outlining the following: rationale, design, feasibility, plans for research translation, information dissemination and potential impact of the proposed research project (2 pages)
- Official letter of approval of your research proposal
- Letter from host institution detailing your career plan after completing the PhD (1 page)
- Supervisor’s abridged track record with publications, grants and experience in research supervision of PhD students, and signed commitment form (3 pages)
- Most recent payslip (not older than 3 months)
CLOSING DATE FOR THE BM-NHSP BURSARY
15 November 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BM-NHSP BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC) directly:
Contact person: Dr Lindokuhle Ndlandla
Tel: 021 938 0442
COMPUTER SCIENCE & IT BURSARIES
CONSTRUCTION & BUILT ENVIRONMENT BURSARIES
UNIVERSITIES IN SOUTH AFRICA & UNIVERSITY-SPECIFIC BURSARIES