WAAW Foundation Scholarship South Africa 2021 – 2022
ABOUT THE COMPANY – WAAW FOUNDATION
WAAW (Working to Advance Science and Technology Education for African Women) Foundation, formed in 2007, is an international non-profit organization which aims to empower African Females through STEM Education, Leadership and Entrepreneurship Training.
The Foundation provides various training opportunities, including the “She Hacks Africa Bootcamp”, the “Summer STEM/ Code Camp for Girls”, “STEM Cell College to Secondary Outreach Program”, “STEM Fellows Training Program”, “Academic Scholarships for African College Girls”, “Code School Bootcamp for girls and boys” and “Teachers Training Program”.
ABOUT THE WAAW FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The WAAW Foundation is inviting Female students from African countries, to apply for a scholarship award, for the 2022 academic year.
The WAAW Foundation Scholarship awards scholarships each year, to deserving African Females, pursuing undergraduate studies in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)-related courses, including the following:
- Computer Science (all fields)
- Engineering (all fields)
- Environmental Sciences
- Industrial Chemistry
- Medical courses
- Science, Mathematics and related fields
Note: the following courses are NOT covered: Art courses, Social Science courses, Core medical courses (Medicine, Surgery, Nursing etc). Postgraduate (Masters, MBA or PhD) are also NOT covered.
ABOUT THE WAAW FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & SELECTION
The Scholarship will provide $500 for studies at any African University, College or institute of higher learning.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted – if you do not receive any feedback, please regard your application as unsuccessful.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE WAAW FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a Female student
- You must be of African origin
- You must be under the age of 32 years old
- You must be residing and studying in any African country
- You must be enrolled for studies towards your first undergraduate B.S.degree qualification
- You must be enrolled for studies towards a STEM-related course, within one of the above listed fields of study
- You must be in your 1st or 2nd year of study (or in your 3rd year if studying towards a 5-year course)
- You must be enrolled for studies at a recognised University or college in any African country
- You must have a strong academic record
- You must have proven financial need
- You must have proven volunteering, community service and leadership
- Preference will be given to underprivileged students (including orphans, female students impacted by HIV or in their 1st or 2nd year of study)
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE WAAW FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP
Applications must be submitted online at: WAAW Foundation Scholarship Application 2022
The application form consist of 4 stages – they must each be completed before moving on to the next stage. The application cannot be edited after being submitted. Please ensure that you complete the entire application form – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified.
Stage 1: personal and contact details
Stage 2: education background and family details
Stage 3: essays – these will be strongly considered when making the final selection (ensure that these are ready before starting the application):
- Essay 1: your future career goals and how think this scholarship will help you to fulfil those goals (maximum 500 words)
- Essay 2: your beliefs about female education in Africa and how it impacts the research, development or advancement in African economies (maximum 300 words)
- Essay 3: your proudest achievement thus far (maximum 500 words)
- Motivational letter, briefly explaining: why you need the scholarship, financial need/ financial situation and how the scholarship will help you to achieve your education and/or career goals (maximum 10 sentences)
Stage 4: 2 references (name and contact details only)
Shortlisted students will be required to submit the following documents:
- 2 references (academic or professional): 1 from a professor at your institution and 1 from an academic supervisor/ advisor or mentor (these must be emailed by the referee to WAAW)
- Current signed and sealed transcript from your University (this must be emailed to email@example.com)
- School identity card (this must be scanned and emailed to WAAW)
CLOSING DATE FOR THE WAAW FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP
12 November 2021 (at 16:00).
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this scholarship programme, please contact the WAAW Foundation directly:
Students must review the WAAW Foundation Scholarship FAQ’s before submitting a query.
Things To Note Before Applying For A Bursary
SOUTH AFRICAN BURSARIES OPEN ALL YEAR ROUND