Senior Programme Manager E Bus Mission UN Jobs
Senior Programme Manager, E Bus Mission, Johannesburg
Senior Programme Manager E Bus Mission UN Jobs
- Organization: C40 Cities
- Country: South Africa
- City: Johannesburg
- Office: C40 Cities in Johannesburg, South Africa
- Follow @UNjobs
C40 is a network of nearly 100 mayors of the world’s leading cities, who are working to deliver the urgent action needed right now to confront the climate crisis, and create a future where everyone, everywhere can thrive. Mayors of C40 cities are committed to using a science-based and people-focused approach to help the world limit global heating to 1.5°C and build healthy, equitable and resilient communities. Through a Global Green New Deal, mayors are working alongside a broad coalition of representatives from labour, business, the youth climate movement and civil society to go further and faster than ever before.
C40’s team of 200+ staff is headquartered in New York, with offices in London, Joburg, Singapore, Delhi, Rio de Janeiro, Copenhagen, Beijing and Paris, and individual staff based across 25+ different locations, with the Office of the Chair based in Los Angeles.
The strategic direction of the organisation is determined by an elected Steering Committee of C40 mayors which is chaired by the Mayor of Los Angeles, Eric Garcetti. Three-term Mayor of New York City Michael R. Bloomberg serves as President of the C40 Board of Directors, which is responsible for operational oversight. A nine-person management team, led by Executive Director, Mark Watts, leads the day-to-day management of C40. C40’s three core strategic funders are Bloomberg Philanthropies, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) and Realdania.
C40 is committed to supporting and promoting equity and diversity and creating an inclusive working environment for everyone. We believe that when people with different life experiences are involved in decision-making, we deliver better.
We believe having a diverse workforce ensures we connect better with all the different communities and people affected by the climate crisis. This enables us to make better decisions which lead to better outcomes in the work we do through increased creativity, productivity, greater global impact alongside a broader perspective and approach to our work.
We welcome applicants that are diverse in terms of age, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, ethnicity and perspective. Our goal is for C40 to be an environment where everyone, from any background, can flourish and can be themselves whilst contributing to our mission. If you identify as a person with a disability, we work to provide reasonable appropriate measures and any additional support needed to provide an equitable working experience. If you are living with a disability, chronic illness or neuro diversity please inform us, to provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.
C40 promotes a work culture where staff can input to improve equity, diversity and inclusion through staff-led groups and formal forums. We know that creating our ideal working environment is a learning process and we are committed to the ongoing effort.
Transformative Urban Mobility Initiative (TUMI) E-Bus Mission
The Transformative Urban Mobility Initiative (TUMI) is a global implementation initiative on sustainable mobility formed through the union of 11 prestigious partners united with the goal of changing mobility for the benefit of people and the environment.
With the E-Bus Mission, TUMI aims to support 500 cities towards procuring 100,000 electric buses worldwide. To achieve that ambitious goal, the TUMI partners will offer in-depth support to 20 “Deep Dive” cities that have been selected as early adopters to mentor other cities towards a global shift to e-buses. Led by a diverse coalition of non-profit organizations (GIZ, C40, WRI, ITDP, UITP, ICLEI), the TUMI E-Bus Mission will focus on 3 key elements to support cities and deliver those objectives: a large technical assistance package to support the preparation of viable projects, the development of local municipal coalitions to bring together relevant stakeholders and build long-term local capacity, and a network of cities with whom to share knowledge and experiences to scale the deployment of e-buses.
C40’s role as a partner in the TUMI coalition focuses on coalition building and knowledge-sharing. At the city level, C40 will identify relevant stakeholders and lead the formation of municipal working groups to facilitate a collaborative preparation of e-bus projects. These working groups will bring together municipal decision-makers, transit authorities, transit operators, as well as vehicle manufacturers, technology providers, financiers, and other private sector partners with a shared objective of accelerating the adoption of zero-emission buses in their cities.
The E-Bus Senior Programme Manager will programme manage the delivery of the E-Bus Mission’s activities including managing the two E-Bus Managers who will execute the project deliverables on the ground in Latin America, Africa and Asia. The E-Bus Senior Programme Manager will support the E-Bus Managers on the creation and management of local stakeholder working groups (referred to as sub-coalitions) in up to 5 cities in each region, and support the managers with their efforts to map out the stakeholder landscape in those cities, and coordinate municipal coalitions towards achieving the objectives of the TUMI E-Bus Mission.
The Senior Programme Manager will be responsible for maintaining an excellent funder relationship, grant reporting and budget management. The Senior Programme Manager will coordinate the overall project, ensuring alignment of delivery across regions, sharing best practice and lessons learned with partners, C40 staff and wider stakeholders. The Senior Programme Manager will ensure the project is on track to deliver objectives on time and to budget, and bring in knowledge from wider Transport and Urban Planning (particularly ZEV network, Mass Transit network), Regions, City Finance, Zero Emission Bus Rapid Deployment Accelerator, Air Quality and Research teams.
As the Senior Programme Manager responsible for the delivery of the TUMI E-Bus Mission, the candidate will have experience building and managing stakeholder relationships and coordinating action with multiple actors including funders, wider stakeholders and partners and city officials. The Senior Programme Manager will have excellent relationship-building talents and outstanding management and organizational skills.
- Manage and deliver the strategically important E-Bus Mission programme to time and to budget.
- Manage two E-Bus Managers and an E-Bus Project Officer.
- Ensure reporting to funder is done on time and to a high standard.
- Build and manage strong relationships with relevant partners and funders.
- With the Project Officer, ensure city actions are tracked and attributed where appropriate to C40 support.
- Organise and lead internal and external coordination groups with partners.
- Advise senior colleagues within C40 and represent C40 externally to senior stakeholders on best practice for electric buses.
- Track and report to the Technical Lead on contracts, budgets, key performance indicators and deliverables, ensuring they are on schedule.
- Pro-actively collaborate with colleagues in the Transport and Urban Planning team, wider City Solutions and Networks team, and across C40, including City Finance, Communications, Regions, Research, Events, and City Diplomacy, to effectively support cities in achieving their transport and GHG reduction goals. cwZt94s Dmluar
- Other duties as assigned.
- Proven track record in programme management and successful delivery in large scale, complex programmes
- Extensive experience in government, business, research and/or NGO sectors with a strong focus on transport and electric bus related policy and programmes.
- Knowledge of global best practices and different approaches to solve transport, zero emission vehicle and electric bus, at the municipal and international level, required; advanced degree in relevant discipline preferred.
- Proven ability in developing, delivering and reporting on programme plans, including contract, funder and budget management.
- Experience of developing and implementing strategy required, preferably through working in or with city governments.
- Proven track record of working collaboratively and effectively with major global partners, such as NGOs, national governments, industry and academia.
- Strong problem-solving, interpersonal and strategic thinking capabilities coupled with an outcome, delivery-oriented approach required.
- International experience required, particularly working across different cultures, languages and time zones.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills essential, including proven ability to facilitate in-person workshops as well as virtual meetings or webinars.
- Fluency in English essential; fluency in another language spoken in a C40 city preferred.
Other Requirements: Applicants must already have the right to work in their country of residence. Applicants must be able and willing to travel to project cities.
Location: South Africa – Johannesburg.
Term: Fixed Term Contract, ending 31 October 2022
Salary: ZAR 750 000
Closing date for receipt of applications is 04 November 2021. C40 reserves the right to close this job opening before the closing date for applications so please do submit applications early.