Open Window Scholarship Competition South Africa 2023 – 2024
ABOUT THE COMPANY – OPEN WINDOW
Open Window, established in 1993, is an accredited Higher Education Institution located in the province of Gauteng, in South Africa. The institution offers 3 bachelor’s degree programs, a postgraduate degree programme, as well as many accredited certificates related to the Creative Arts.
The vision of Open Window is to be one of the leading educational institutions and they aim to do this by promoting excellence in academia, being relevant in the creative industries, and using the latest technologies.
Open Window’s goal is to create students who are critical thinkers, dynamic, professional, and have many capabilities that are required in the creative industry. Open Window does this by providing relevant education opportunities through the use of the latest technologies, educational models that are superior, a high standard of excellence, international competitive outcomes, and industry requirements.
ABOUT THE OPEN WINDOW SCHOLARSHIP – FIELDS COVERED
The Open Window is inviting students to apply for their Scholarship Competition for the 2022 academic year. The scholarship will cover studies towards a Certificate or Degree programme, in any of the following streams offered at the Open Window:
- Animation Arts
- Film Arts
- Creative Technologies
- Visual Communication
ABOUT THE OPEN WINDOW SCHOLARSHIP – FIELDS COVERED & COVERAGE VALUE
The programme aims to assist candidates in reaching their creative goals. Candidates will have an opportunity to either win a full or partial scholarship from the company, for the first year of studies at Open Window.
The selection process includes the following steps:
- 3 December 2021: applications close
- 10 to 11 January 2022: judging takes place
- 12 to 17 January 2022: interviews are held with shortlisted candidates (via Skype, Google Meet or Zoom)
- 18 January 2022: winners will be announced on The Open Window website
MORE ABOUT THE OPEN WINDOW SCHOLARSHIP COMPETITION
Open Window is looking for a leader in Visual Storytelling as all four of the above-mentioned streams rely on and emphasise the skill of Visual Storytelling. As such, candidates will be required to create a 5 image series/ frames depicting their interpretation of “A journey towards creativity.” Open Window wants to see candidates’ creativity through a short narrative, as well as their imagination and creative storytelling. Candidates are free to use any format, visual medium, or approach – as long as their creative submission can be sent digitally. Examples of submissions are (although, not limited to): Comics; Stop Motion; Sound; Typography; 3D Objects; Animation; Illustrations; Digital Designs; Ceramics; Textiles and Film.
Open Window would also like to see how candidates came to their final outcome. As such, candidates are required to also submit some of their planning idea, sketches, blueprints, etc.
Things to consider when sending your application:
- What does creativity mean/ look like to you?
- Share a moment when you once discovered the power of your creativity and do so through creative expression
- Don’t be too literal- what does YOUR creativity look like?
- What is your creative superpower? Show this in your story through photos, drawings, film, etc.
- Were you playful in your approach?
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE OPEN WINDOW SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must currently be in Matric (currently registered Open Window students may not apply)
- You must be eligible for tertiary studies in 2022
- You must meet the admission requirements at The Open Window
- You must intend on studying towards a first-year Certificate or Degree, in any of the specialisation streams at The Open Window, in 2022
- You must be creative
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE OPEN WINDOW SCHOLARSHIP
Applications must be submitted online at Open Window Scholarship Competition Application
Applicants must read and agree to the Open Window Scholarship Competition Rules (.pdf) before applying.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- Completed registration form
- Your visual narrative in the form of MOV, MP4, JPG, PDF or PNG
- Copies of your plans/blueprints
- ID document
- International Study Permit (if applicable)
- Latest academic results
NOTES ABOUT THE OPEN WINDOW SCHOLARSHIP
- All admission will be subject to the company’s standard admission requirements.
- The scholarship will only be offered to applicants who meet the Degree entry requirements.
- Time-based entries (such as stop motion, sound, animation, etc.) should not exceed 30 seconds.
- Film and animation submissions do not require 5 scene changes, but rather 5 moments/ events that are linked by cause and effect.
- Please ensure that the file size of your application is not bigger than 20 MB.
- Should your video exceed 20 MB, please upload your work to YouTube and provide the link in your application.
- All work will be judged individually based on several criteria.
- The successful candidate will be awarded based on creative potential and artistic talent.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE OPEN WINDOW SCHOLARSHIP
3 December 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this scholarship programme, please contact Open Window directly: