DSI-CSIR Bursary South Africa 2023 – 2024
DSI-CSIR Bursary South Africa
ABOUT THE COMPANY – DSI & CSIR
The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), established in the year 1945, is a premier and central research and development organisation in South Africa. The CSIR is Africa’s biggest research and development organisation, which covers approximately 10% of the whole African African R&D budget.
The Department of Science and Innovation (DSI) is committed to encouraging socio-economic development in South Africa, by way of research and innovation. The DSI seeks to accomplish groundbreaking science and ensure the well-being of all South Africans, through the various Programmes and entities they work with.
ABOUT THE DSI-CSIR BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The Department of Science and Innovation (DSI) and the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) are inviting postgraduate students to apply for the DSI-CSIR Inter-Bursary Support (IBS) programme, for the 2022 academic year.
Inter-Bursary Support (IBS) programme was established by the DSI in order to support capacity development in key and priority areas, as identified in key departmental strategies. The bursary is supported by the CSIR, with the aim of supporting the development of skills in these areas.
Bursaries will be awarded for the following Thematic Research Focus Areas:
- Biotechnology (Biopharming, Bio-processing and Bio-catalysis)
- Indigenous Knowledge Systems (IKS) – (Bioprospecting research, product and process development)
- Information and Communications Technology
- Microsystems Technology
- Modelling and Digital Sciences (data science, biometrics, cybersecurity etc)
- Photonics (free-space communication, fibre-optics, laser welding and optics)
- Titanium (manufacturing elements)
The bursary will also cover Honours, 4th year Engineering or Postgraduate Diploma studies in:
- Biotechnology and related majors
- Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Engineering and related majors (Electrical and Computer, Electronic, Metallurgical, Aeronautical Engineering, etc)
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Health (Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, etc)
- ICT (Information Systems, Information Technology, Data Science, Computer Science, Information Systems Management, GIS, etc)
- IKS (Indigenous Knowledge Systems)
- Pure Mathematics or Applied Mathematics
- Statistics or Mathematical Statistics
MORE ABOUT THE CSIR BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & SELECTION
The bursary value will be determined by the level of study:
- Honours, 4th year Engineering and Postgraduate Diploma students will receive cover up to R100 000 per annum.
- Masters students will receive cover up to R120 000 per annum.
- Doctoral students will receive cover up to R140 000 per annum.
All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application within 2 months of the closing date (ie no later than 31 October 2021).
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE DSI-CSIR BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen OR a South African permanent resident
- You must be studying or intend on studying full-time towards one of the aforementioned postgraduate qualifications
- You must be studying or intend on studying towards a degree that is aligned to specific thematic research areas and research themes/ technology streams
- You must be studying at a public university in South Africa
- You must NOT be employed on a full-time basis
- Preference will be given to students with disabilities and students from previously disadvantaged backgrounds
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE DSI-CSIR BURSARY
Applications must be done online at; DSI-CSIR Bursary Application 2022
All applicants will receive an email confirmation after their application has been received.
Candidates must download and read the DSI-CSIR Inter-Bursary Support Programme (IBS) General Guidelines(.pdf) before applying.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- South African ID document (certified copy)
- Passport and proof of Permanent Residency, if an international student (certified copies)
- University degree certificate (certified copy)
- Full and most recent university transcript/ record, if currently studying (on institutions letterhead)
- Proof of university application or registration (on institutions letterhead)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Recommendation letter/ endorsement from your Supervisor, if a Master’s or Doctoral applicant
- Fees Statement or NSFAS Contract, if applicable
CLOSING DATE FOR THE THE DSI-CSIR BURSARY
31 August 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the CSIR IBS team directly:
SOUTH AFRICAN BURSARIES OPEN ALL YEAR ROUND