What Documents Are Needed To Apply For NSFAS


What Documents Are Needed To Apply For NSFAS

What Documents Are Needed To Apply For NSFAS | Are you making plans to attend a public university or TVET college but come from a family with a household income of R350 000 or less?  You are eligible for a bursary under the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS). The NSFAS is a  government agency that offers financial help to all eligible public university and Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) college students from low-income and working-class households.

Applications are to be submitted online via the myNSFAS portal. New applicants need a copy of their ID document or birth certificate to register and create a profile on the myNSFAS portal. Applicants with existing accounts need to log into their accounts, you’re only allowed to create one profile.


What does the Nsfas bursary cover?

Don’t let money stand in the way of your achievement. This bursary covers more than just your tuition fees. Read further to find out what other benefits there are for you if you get funded by NSFAS. Amounts indicated for accommodation, living allowance, transport, and learning materials need to be aligned with the approved latest DHET guidelines.

As per the actual costs charged by the university (costs for private accommodation must not exceed costs for university residence)
Transport (up to 40 km from the institution) R7 500 per annum
Living allowance of R15,000 per annum
Book allowances R5200 per annum
Incidental/personal care allowance R2900 per annum for students in catered residences

See also  NSFAS Online Application 2022 - 2023


  • Accommodation in an urban area is R24,000 per annum
  • Accommodation in a peri-urban area is R18,900 per annum
  • Accommodation in a rural area is R15,750 per annum
  • Transport (up to 40 km from the institution) R7,350 per annum
  • Transport R7000 per annum
  • Incidental/personal care allowance R2900 per annum


Does NSFAS require certified documents for 2023? Yes

To be eligible for NSFAS funding, you must consider the following steps outlined below. This grant will pay all of your expenditures at any South African public university or Technical and Vocational Training College ( TVET)

In order for NSFAS to process your financing application in time for your enrollment at an institution of higher learning, you must provide the right supporting documentation. The following documents are required

  1. All applicants must provide a copy of their ID. A temporary ID issued by the Department of Home Affairs will be accepted.
  2. Non-SASSA applicants must provide ID copies of parent/s, legal guardian/guardian, or spouse.
  3. Smart ID cards: a copy with both sides of the smart ID must be provided.
  4. Proof of income: applicant and/or parents/legal guardian/spouse (where applicable (non-SASSA) should provide the latest payslip, not older than 3 months, UIF letter, appointment letter, retrenchment letter (applicant and/or parent(s), legal guardian/spouse)
  5. Passports / Driver’s licenses will be accepted as proof of ID

NB: No affidavits will be accepted as proof for any funding requirement.

If you have all the above mentioned documents then below is how you can apply to be fully funded.

Ngfinders.com is here to bring you the latest regarding NSFAS application.

See also  NSFAS Email Address

How Do Apply For NSFAS Funding and Where Do Apply? What Documents Are Needed To Apply For NSFAS


Step 1: Go to www.nsfas.org.za and click on the ‘myNSFAS’ tab.
Step 2: Create a myNSFAS account
Step 3: Click on the ‘APPLY’ tab and complete the sections on the screen
Step 4: Upload required supporting documents where applicable
Step 5: Click on ‘Submit’

If you do not have a digital devise or access to the internet, do not stress, simply pop into your nearest National Youth Development Agency (NYDA) or Thusong Centre to apply following the same steps.



National Student Financial Aid Scheme NSFAS Details