Western Cape Department of Health Bursary South Africa 2021 – 2022
ABOUT THE COMPANY – WESTERN CAPE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
The Western Cape Department of Health, formed in 1994, is responsible for delivering public healthcare and health services to people who reside within the province. They are also in charge of various specialised facilities, which include rehabilitation centres; psychiatric hospitals and tuberculosis hospitals.
The Western Cape currently has 428 public primary care facilities, of which some are operated by the Department of Health and others by the City of Cape Town – these include community health centres and clinics.
ABOUT THE WESTERN CAPE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The Western Cape Department of Health are inviting students to apply for bursary funding for the 2022 academic year. Bursaries will be awarded for studies within the Health Science sector, an area of identified skills shortage in South Africa.
Students pursuing studies towards the following qualifications, at these institutions may apply for the bursary:
- B Nursing (at the University of Western Cape and North-West University)
- B Pharmacy (at North-West University)
- B Tech Nursing (at Cape Peninsula University of Technology)
- Bachelor of Emergency Medical Care (at Cape Peninsula University of Technology)
- BSc Nuclear Medicine (at Cape Peninsula University of Technology)
- BSc Occupational Therapy (at the University of the Western Cape)
- BSc Physiotherapy (at the University of the Western Cape)
- BSc Radiography in Diagnostic Radiography/ Ultrasound (at Cape Peninsula University of Technology)
- Degree Medicine (at the University of the Witwatersrand, University of Pretoria, University of Free State, University of Stellenbosch and University of Cape Town)
- Diploma R425 Nursing (at Western Cape college of Nursing: Athlone campus, George campus and Worcester campus)
- Diploma R171 Nursing (at Western Cape college of Nursing: Athlone campus, George campus and Worcester campus)
MORE ABOUT THE WESTERN CAPE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & SERVICE CONTRACT
The bursary will provide cover for the following expenses: registration fees, tuition fees and examination fees.
Students will be required to work back the bursary (service contract) – one year of work for each year of funding received. The Community Service Year will cover the first year of the service contract.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE WESTERN CAPE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must reside within the Western Cape province
- You must have completed Matric OR be currently in Matric
- You must be studying or accepted to study full time within one of the aforementioned Health Science fields of study
- You must be studying or accepted to study at one of the aforementioned accredited tertiary institutions
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE WESTERN CAPE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH BURSARY
Applications must be done online at: Western Cape Department of Health Bursary Platform
Candidates will be required to Register an Account before they can Login and apply.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric June results, if currently in Matric (certified copy)
- Matric certificate, if completed Matric (certified copy)
- Motivational letter explaining why you deserve to be awarded a bursary (addressed to the Bursary Committee)
- Parents/ guardians ID documents (certified copies)
- Parents/ guardians proof of income (payslips/ SASSA letter/ tax certificate) (certified copies)
- Proof of residence (rates/ lease agreement/ account statement/ affidavit)
- Proof of disability, if disabled
- Proof of registration at one of the aforementioned tertiary institutions (to be submitted by the beginning of 2022)
CLOSING DATE FOR THE WESTERN CAPE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH BURSARY
30 September 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the Western Cape Government: Department of Health directly:
Contact people: Monray Strydom / Angelo Briesies
Tel: 021 483 6610 / 021 483 3465