UCT International and Refugee Scholarship South Africa 2023 – 2024
ABOUT THE INSTITUTION – UCT
The University of Cape Town is one of the top academic tertiary institutions in South Africa. Their main mission is to produce individuals who portray excellent leadership qualities as well as strong social justice, and who will later play important roles in government, business, civil society, and industry in South Africa and Africa as a whole.
ABOUT THE UCT INTERNATIONAL AND REFUGEE SCHOLARSHIP – FIELDS COVERED
The University of Cape Town (UCT) is inviting international and refugee students, to apply for a limited number of scholarships for the 2022 academic year.
The scholarship will cover postgraduate studies (Honours, Masters or Doctoral) at UCT, in ANY field of study.
MORE ABOUT THE UCT INTERNATIONAL AND REFUGEE SCHOLARSHIP – COVERAGE VALUE & RENEWABILITY
All of UCT’s International and Refugee Scholarships are awarded on a competitive level, and preference will be given to senior candidates. Should the student be able to maintain satisfactory progress within their course, the scholarship will then also be renewable for the student’s duration of the course of study (this is applicable for 1 year at Honours, 2 years at Masters, and 3 years at Doctoral levels).
The scholarship program is supplementary as a contribution towards the student’s Cost of Attendance – students must have the means to fund their studies. The values of the scholarship programs are as follows:
- Honours programme: R25 000
- Master’s programme: R30 000
- Doctoral programme: R35 000
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE UCT INTERNATIONAL AND REFUGEE SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be an international student with a valid passport OR a Refugee with valid Refugee papers
- You must have applied or been accepted to study at UCT
- You must be pursuing full-time studies towards an Honours, Masters, or Doctoral qualification
- You must complete your qualification within the minimum amount of time
- You must be studying towards your first postgraduate qualification (funding will NOT be awarded for a second degree at the same level or lower level)
- You must have achieved a minimum of 55% for major subjects
- You must NOT be employed on a full-time basis (ie NOT working more than 20 hours per week)
- You must be able to fund the remaining outstanding study fees
Students should note that the following applicants will NOT be funded:
- Candidates studying towards an Undergraduate degree
- Candidates studying towards a Postgraduate Diploma, Postgraduate Certificate or HDE
- Candidates studying towards an Honours in the Economic Analysis of Financial Markets (EAFM) program
- Candidates studying towards a Master’s in MMed or MBA
- Candidates studying towards a Part-time degree
- Candidates studying towards a degree with less than 33% research components
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE UCT INTERNATIONAL AND REFUGEE SCHOLARSHIP
Download and complete the: UCT International and Refugee Scholarship Application 2022
Students who currently hold this scholarship and would like to apply for renewing their scholarship must complete the UCT Form 10F.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- Passport, if an international student (certified copy)
- Refugee papers, if a refugee in South Africa (certified copy)
- Official transcripts or certified copies of your academic records
- Translated copy academic record, if your home language is not English (certified copy)
- Abstract of the proposed research, if a Master’s or Doctoral applicant (1 page)
- Unofficial transcripts, for students who have only studied at UCT (copy)
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications
- 2 academic referee reports, from academics who have taught or supervised you at the university level (to be attached to your application or emailed to email@example.com)
- Masters by Research or Doctoral applicants: if you have an established or prospective supervisor, download and complete Section E of the application form
Applications must be submitted electronically via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Compile all of the required documents into 1 pdf file (in the order as listed on the application form).
Insert the words “Form 10C 2022 – Your full name” in the email subject line.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE UCT INTERNATIONAL AND REFUGEE SCHOLARSHIP
30 September 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this scholarship programme, please contact UCT directly:
Postgraduate Funding Office
Tel: 021 650 3622
UCT contact page – relating to the type of query