Sanlam UCT Online High School Scholarship South Africa 2023 – 2024
ABOUT THE COMPANY – SANLAM & UCT ONLINE HIGH SCHOOL
Sanlam, first established in 1918, is a South African financial service group and today, the largest insurance company on the African continent. With its headquarters located in Belville, Western Cape, Sanlam has been able to establish itself as a diversified financial services business.
The University of Cape Town (UCT) is one of the top academic tertiary institutions in South Africa. Their main mission is to produce individuals who portray excellent leadership qualities as well as strong social justice, and who will later play important roles in government, business, civil society, and industry in South Africa and Africa as a whole.
The UCT Online High School was launched in July 2022 and is proud to be the most affordable private high school in South Africa. The school’s model allows students to learn at their own pace, while also receiving individual tutoring from teachers and coaches.
ABOUT THE SANLAM & UCT ONLINE HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIP – FIELDS COVERED
Sanlam, partnered with the UCT Online High School, is inviting students entering Grade 8, to apply for their scholarship programme for the 2022 academic year.
The scholarship is aimed at students who are currently in Grade 7, will be entering Grade 8 in 2022 and who wish to study at the University of Cape Town (UCT) Online High School.
100 students from historically disadvantaged families, who have strong academic records but are unable to access high-quality online academic training, due to a lack of funds, will be selected to receive the scholarship.
This programme aims to equip students with the necessary resources and means to make the most out of a high-quality online schooling experience. Sanlam aims to not only aid the successful student in achieving this goal but also ultimately create a diverse group of talented and skilled young individuals with the future skills that our country needs.
ABOUT THE SANLAM & UCT ONLINE HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIP – COVERAGE VALUE
The scholarship will provide cover for the following expenses, for the full duration of their high school studies (on condition that they maintain good academic results):
- Full tuition fees for the entire duration of schooling
- Personal development and inspirational development sessions from Sanlam’s leaders and employees
- Possible career opportunities, as well as university bursaries offered by Sanlam after high school
The following expenses will NOT be covered (parents or guardians will be required to cover these fees):
- Internet, a laptop, headset and a suitable learning and working space
- Matric examination fees
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SANLAM & UCT ONLINE HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African Citizen
- You must be African, Colored, Indian or Asian
- You must be completing Grade 7 in 2021
- You must be between 12 and 13 years old
- You must be from a previously disadvantaged background/ family
- You must have achieved a minimum result of 70% for Mathematics in your most recent report
- You must have achieved a minimum result of 70% for English in your most recent report
- You must have achieved a minimum overall average of 70% in your most recent school report
- You must have proven financial need
- You must NOT be able to afford tuition fees for UCT Online High School
- You must be ambitious and have the desire to attend online school
- You must have basic computer literacy skills
- You must have access to adult supervision
- You must have a safe and study-conducive working environment
- You must have access to high-speed internet (minimum average speed of 10Mbps down, 1Mbps up)
- You must have a reliable device (laptop) and headset
- You must be highly motivated
- You must have strong academic talents
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE SANLAM & UCT ONLINE HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIP
Candidates must follow these steps to apply:
Step 1: Complete the online application form: Sanlam UCT Online High School Scholarship Application
Read and agree to the T&C’s and the scholarship policy.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form:
- Parents or guardians proof of household income (employment contract/ recent payslip/ employment letter with salary stated/ IRP5 SARS tax form/ proof of SASSA grant or other income/ affidavit if unemployed)
- Recommendation letter from your current school leader
- Video of you responding to these 5 interview questions:
- 1. Briefly introduce yourself (your name, town or city that you live in, favorite subject and an interesting fact about you).
- 2. Why you should be selected for the Sanlam Scholarship.
- 3. Why you want to attend UCT Online High School (and not a traditional school).
- 4. What challenges you think you will have learning from home and how will you overcome those challenges.
- 5. Introduction of the adult who will be supporting and motivating you at home while you learn.
(Note: the video of between 2 and 4 minutes in length, it does not have to be top quality – a video with a cellphone camera will be sufficient)
Step 2: Complete the academic test: after submitting your application in step 1 above, you will receive an email with your login details, where you will complete the Mathematics and English language test.
Step 3: Shortlisting: after step 2 is complete, applications will be assessed and shortlisted candidates will be selected.
Around 22 December 2021, all candidates will be informed of the outcome of their application, via email – whether they were successful or not. Shortlisted candidates will receive a conditional scholarships offer.
SELECTION FOR THE SANLAM & UCT ONLINE HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIP
Before the scholarship can be awarded, shortlisted candidates will be undergoing the following steps:
1. Conditional acceptance: parents or guardians must accept the conditional scholarship offer.
2. Verification of documents: candidates who accept the conditional offer will move on to the next stage – they will receive an emailed a request to submit the following documents: Grade 7 term 2 report, Abridged or unabridged birth certificate, Final grade 7 report (to be submitted at the end of the year when received). All documents will be verified.
3. Pre-orientation: after documents have been verified, candidates will be welcomed into UCT Online High School, and the pre-orientation phase will begin, including: finalizing subjects and school holidays, completing a baseline test to determine your academic strengths and gaps.
4. Passing Grade 7: candidates must submit their final Grade 7 report to prove they have completed primary school and are now ready to join UCT Online High School.
5. Offer acceptance: after your Grade 7 report has been verified, you will receive the scholarship offer letter, which will need to be accepted by a parent or guardian.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE SANLAM & UCT ONLINE HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIP
17 November 2021 (extension).
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this scholarship programme, please contact SANLAM directly:
The admissions team
Tel: 021 140 1792
Before submitting a query, please read the Frequently Asked Questions & Answers