Newcastle Municipality Bursary South Africa 2022 – 2023
ABOUT THE COMPANY – NEWCASTLE MUNICIPALITY
Newcastle Local Municipality, located within the KwaZulu-Natal of South Africa, is one of the 3 local municipalities of the Amajuba District Municipality. The Category B municipality has 7 major economic sectors, in descending order they are: trade, community services, finance, manufacturing, construction, transport, and agriculture.
Named after the Duke of Newcastle, who was the British Colonial Secretary, in the 1800’s Newcastle were a prominent transport junction and well-known stopover for wagons and post-chaises. In the 1900s, coal was discovered in the area which boosted the economy of the town and lead to many building projects.
ABOUT THE NEWCASTLE MUNICIPALITY BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The Newcastle Municipality is inviting students who reside within the Newcastle Municipality area to apply for the Mayors Bursary programme, for the 2022 academic year.
Bursaries will be awarded for ANY field of study (especially scarce skills), at a government-recognized tertiary institution.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE NEWCASTLE MUNICIPALITY BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must be between the ages of 14 and 35 years old
- You must have completed Matric and received University Admission
- You must reside within the Newcastle Municipality area, in KwaZulu-Natal
- You must be provisionally accepted to study at any government-recognized tertiary institution, in 2022
- You must be from a previously disadvantaged background
- You must be in financial need
- Preference will be given to students with strong academic records
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NEWCASTLE MUNICIPALITY BURSARY
Download and complete the: Newcastle Municipality Bursary Application Form(.docx)
Alternatively, application forms can be collected from the Newcastle Municipality Municipal Building (Office F36).
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online bursary application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Most recent academic record/ results/ certificate (certified copy)
- Proof of provisional acceptance to study at a tertiary institution (on institutions letterhead)
- Parents or guardians ID documents (certified copies)
- Parents or guardians proof of household income (latest payslips if employed, affidavit if unemployed, bank statements or company documents if self-employed, proof of grant or pension if applicable, death certificate if deceased)
- Proof of residential address in Newcastle
- Quote of fees from the institution of study (on institutions letterhead)
- Motivational letter to support your application (Minimum 250 words)
Applications must be delivered to:
37 Murchison Street
Note: applications received via email or fax will NOT be accepted.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE NEWCASTLE MUNICIPALITY BURSARY
14 January 2022.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary program, please contact the Newcastle Municipality directly:
Contact people: Sabelo Dlamini (Mayor’s Personal Assistant) or Snikiw Mdluli (Community Liaison Officer)
Tel: 034 328 7737