Generation Google Scholarship: Women in Gaming South Africa 2022 – 2023
ABOUT THE COMPANY – GOOGLE
Generation Google Scholarship: Women in Gaming South Africa | Google is a multinational computer technology company specializing in services and products by the means of the internet. Google believes that information should be accessible to all around the globe; as such, Google has developed educational and scholarship programs (such as its Generation Google scholarship), which are aimed to help and inspire students to become leaders in technology and computing.
ABOUT THE GENERATION GOOGLE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
Google is inviting female students to apply for the Generation Google Scholarship: Women in Gaming, for the 2022 and 2023 academic year. The Scholarship is available via a partnership with Stadia – Google’s new gaming platform.
Women from Africa, Europe and the Middle East, who are pursuing studies towards a Gaming Degree (Bachelors, Masters, or PhD), including: Video Game Programming/ Game Engineering/ Game Design and Development/ a closely related field in gaming, are invited to apply.
Candidates will be selected based on 3 main criteria: strength of impact on diversity, leadership skills and academic record.
MORE ABOUT THE GENERATION GOOGLE SCHOLARSHIP – COVERAGE VALUE
Scholarships will be awarded to the value of 7000 Euro (EUR) (approximately R121 000), to cover the cost of tuition fees, books, study supplies and other equipment required for studies.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE GENERATION GOOGLE SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be female
- You must be a resident in any African, European or Middle Eastern country
- You must be currently enrolled and studying as a graduate or undergraduate at a university for 2021/ 2022
- You must be enrolled or accepted to study towards a full-time degree (Bachelors, Masters, or PhD), in 2022/2023
- You must be enrolled or accepted to study at a recognized and accredited university in Africa, Europe or the Middle East, in 2022/ 2023
- You must be studying towards a qualification in Video Game Programming/ Game Engineering/ Game Design and Development/ a closely related field in Gaming
- You must have a strong academic record
- You must showcase leadership capabilities
- You must be passionate about increasing the involvement of women in gaming
- You must be interested in gaming
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE GENERATION GOOGLE SCHOLARSHIP
Applications must be submitted online at: Generation Google Scholarship Application 2022
Submit the following supporting documentation along with your application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- Brief background information (including contact details, details about your current studies and university)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Academic transcripts for current studies and studies completed (on institutions’ letterhead)
- 1 letter of reference from your instructor, professor, supervisor, or adviser
- Responses to 5 brief essay questions (see below)
Essay Questions (each should be a maximum of 300 words):
1. How you became interested in gaming, your goals or aspirations while/ after completing a degree in this field? (In your answer, include how your experiences have influenced your goals).
2. Description of the most significant technical project or research you have worked on, what your approach was to key technical challenges, and what your skills/ knowledge you’re from the experience. If the project was team-based, explain your specific role and how you contributed to the project (Answer this essay as a technical report or research paper – you may use tables, references, or figures).
3. An example of how you have showed leadership. How you were influential, the goal you were trying to achieve and the impact you had as a result. It does not have to be demonstrated through formal or traditional leadership roles – it can be any way you have had an effect on the members of your technical community, university or broader community.
4. A significant challenge you believe women in the gaming industry face and how you hope to be part of the solution(s) to this challenge? (Note that impact can happen in many ways and at different scales).
5. What impact this scholarship would have on your education, should you be selected (Details any circumstances that affect your need for a scholarship and educational goals this scholarship will allow you to achieve).
NOTES ABOUT THE GENERATION GOOGLE SCHOLARSHIP
- The successful candidates will be selected based on the strength of their essays and application materials.
- Enrollment will be verified after the winners have been selected.
- The scholarship award will be withheld if the student no longer meets the eligibility requirements.
- The scholarship will be revoked from students who do not maintain the eligibility requirements.
- Recipients may defer their award for up to 1 year from the time of originally planned payment on a case by case basis as determined by Google.
- Google employees may NOT apply.
- The following candidates may NOT apply: residents of embargoed countries, ordinarily residence of embargoed countries, candidates prohibited by export controls and sanctions.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE GENERATION GOOGLE SCHOLARSHIP
10 December 2021.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this scholarship programme, please contact Google directly:
Things To Note Before Applying For A Bursary
SOUTH AFRICAN BURSARIES OPEN ALL YEAR ROUND