EP Bradlow Bursary at Stellenbosch University South Africa 2021 – 2022
EP Bradlow Bursary at Stellenbosch University South Africa
ABOUT THE INSTITUTION – STELLENBOSCH UNIVERSITY
Stellenbosch University, located in the suburb of Stellenbosch in the Western Cape province of South Africa, is a public research university and also the oldest university in the country.
Stellenbosch University (also known as “SU” or “Maties”) has 10 faculties, namely the Faculty of: AgriSciences, Arts and Social Sciences, Economic and Management Sciences, Education, Engineering, Law, Medicine and Health Sciences, Military Science, Science , Theology.
The Stellenbosch Faculty of Law, established in 1921, is located in the Old Main Building, on the corner of Victoria Street and Ryneveld Street. Formerly, the Stellenbosch Faculty of Law focused on LLB degrees, however in 1976 was the first time students were awarded the LLM degree (by thesis), and in 1994 the Master of Laws programme (LLM by course work) was introduced. Each year, students from around the world enter in to the LLM programme.
ABOUT THE EP BRADLOW BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The University of Stellenbosch, Faculty of Law, is inviting postgraduate Law students to apply for the EP Bradlow Human Rights LLM Research Bursary, for the 2022 academic year.
The bursary will cover studies towards an LLM degree by research thesis at the Stellenbosch University in human rights law.
Bursary recipients will conduct their thesis under the supervision of Prof Sandra Liebenberg, H.F. Oppenheimer Professor of Human Rights Law at University of Stellenbosch. Bursary holders will be required to acknowledge the support of the Bradlow’s Foundation in their LLM thesis, as well as submit a copy of the thesis to the Foundation.
Recipients will be included in the postgraduate group, under the auspices of the HF Oppenheimer Chair in Human Rights Law, where they will be required to partake in group activities and support to the Chair in furthering its objectives.
ABOUT THE EP BRADLOW BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE
The value of the bursary is a minimum of R185 000 per year (for a 2 year period). The bursary will be paid one the student has registered for LLM studies at the University of Stellenbosch. Read about the registration process here.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE EP BRADLOW BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African resident
- You must have completed Matric
- You must have completed an LLB degree OR will have completed an LLB degree by the beginning of 2022
- You must intend on studying towards an LLM degree by research thesis at the University of Stellenbosch in human rights law, in 2022
- You must be willing to reside in Stellenbosch for the entire duration of the LLM degree (which must be completed within 2 years)
- You must abide by the conditions applicable to a research LLM degree at the University of Stellenbosch, Faculty of Law
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE EP BRADLOW BURSARY
Students who meet all of the eligibility criteria, can apply by submitting clear copies of the following documentation (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric certificate (certified copy)
- Full academic record to date, including 2021 first semester results (certified copy)
- Covering letter, stating the following: you are applying for the Bradlow’s Foundation LLM Research Bursary, you accept the bursary conditions, your motivation for your application, the details of your interest and details of your involvement in human rights
- Details Curriculum Vitae, including: contact details and names of 2 contactable references
- Testimonial from a lecturer who taught you in your LLB degree studies
- Brief description of: your proposed LLM thesis, motivation for its general relevance and significance to human rights research (maximum 2000 words)
Note: there is no application form to be completed – students need only submit the above documents to apply.
Applications may be submitted in one of the following ways:
– Email to Ms Khanyile: email@example.com
– Posted to:
Dept. of Public Law
Faculty of Law
University of Stellenbosch
Private Bag X1
– Delivery to:
Ms S Khanyile
Secretary: Department of Public Law
Faculty of Law
Old Main Building
Cnr: Ryneveld and Victoria Street
CLOSING DATE FOR THE EP BRADLOW BURSARY
30 September 2021.
(Applications submitted after these dates will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the University of Stellenbosch directly:
Faculty of Law
Contact person: Prof S Liebenberg