ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER – CHEVENING
Chevening Scholarship for Studies in the UK | Chevening is the United Kingdom’s (UK) international scholarship programme and was established in 1983. Through valuable education and the aid of international scholarship programmes, Chevening hopes to create a new generation of global leaders. Chevening is funded by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office and partner organisations, thus allowing it to reach many potential candidates across the globe.
ABOUT THE CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The UK Government is inviting students to apply for the Chevening Scholarship, for the 2023 academic year..
The scholarship will cover 1-year Master’s Degree studies in ANY subject, at any university within the United Kingdom, starting in September/ October 2022. Applicants can use the Chevening course finder to find a suitable qualification.
The award is aimed at students who demonstrate outstanding academic ability. The programme aims to allow students the opportunity to focus on achieving both their academic and professional goals whilst having the opportunity to study abroad. Chevening hopes to foster passionate individuals who have a clear vision of how to change the world.
MORE ABOUT THE CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME – EXPENSES COVERED
The Chevening scholarship will provide cover for the following expenses: tuition fees, monthly stipend, visa application costs, an arrival allowance, homeward departure allowance, travel costs to and from the UK and a travel grant to attend Chevening events in the UK.
MBA programme costs are capped at £22 000 – students may be required to cover any additional costs over this amount.
Scholars will also receive the following benefits: experiencing UK culture, establishing valuable relationships abroad, networking, developing their professional and academic skills and living and studying abroad for a year.
https://ngfinders.com is committed to keeping you up to date with the latest bursary opportunities, and this article covers all details about the Chevening Scholarship.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen (students who are citizens of other Chevening-eligible countries or territories may also apply)
- You must NOT have dual citizenship from the UK
- You must have completed Grade 12/ Matric
- You must have completed an undergraduate degree which enables you to gain entry into a post-graduate programme in the UK
- You must intend on studying full-time towards a Master’s degree qualification in the UK
- You must apply to 3 different Master’s courses (these can be 3 different courses at the same institution or 3 similar courses at up to 3 different universities)
- Your selected courses must be full-time, start in the autumn term (September/October), taught master’s (i.e. not research-focused MRes programmes), lead to a master’s degree qualification and be based in the UK
- You must receive an unconditional offer from 1 of 3 university courses by 13 July 2022
- You must have at least 2-years of work experience (read about the work experience requirement here)
- You must return to South Africa for a minimum of 2 years after the scholarship has ended
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP
Applications must be submitted online at; Chevening Scholarship for Studies in the UK 2022
Note: you must apply separately for your course through the university that offers it.
Enter “https://ngfinders.com” in the field asking how you heard about the Chevening Scholarship.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- Identity Document (certified copy)
- Matric Certificate (certified copy)
- Full academic record (certified copy)
- 2 references: people known to you in an academic or professional capacity (read about Chevening’s reference requirement here)
- 1 unconditional UK university offer
CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME SELECTION
The Chevening selection timeline will go as follows:
- 1 November 2022: applications close.
- 2 November 2022: applications are assessed against the eligibility criteria.
- Mid-November to December 2022: applications are assessed by independent reading committees, whose scores and rankings are then returned to local British embassies/ high commissions.
- Early to mid-February 2022: shortlisted applicants are invited to an interview (shortlisted applicants will be required to submit their 2 references and education documents).
- 27 February to 28 April 2022: shortlisted applicants are interviewed by panels at British embassies and high commissions.
- June 2022: interview results are announced.
- 13 July 2022: the deadline for selected applicants to submit at least 1 unconditional UK university offer.
- September to October 2022: scholars commence their studies in the UK.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP
1 November 2022 (at 12:00 GMT).
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE SCHOLARSHIP PROVIDER
For any queries related to this scholarship programme, please contact Chevening directly:
Contact page: https://www.chevening.org/about/contact-us/
Applicants are encouraged to read the Chevening FAQ’s before submitting a query.
For technical issues, visit the Chevening technical support page
Please do NOT contact Chevening if this bursary has already closed. View our other bursaries open for application
NSFAS National Student Financial Aid Schemes
NSFAS: What is NSFAS?
NSFAS, or National Student Financial Aid Scheme, was established according to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme Act of 1999 and incorporated the Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa (TEFSA), which stopped operating in 2000.